Do you want to create a user-friendly mobile Website? Then this article is for you, because by the time you’ve finished reading it, you’ll know exactly how to create a user-friendly Website – and it’s not as hard as you might think!
The mobile marketing industry – what you need to know now:
First of all, the next time you’re sitting a Starbucks, or on the train or subway going home from work, or are sitting on a bench somewhere watching people go past – pay attention to how many people are using their smartphones… I mean really stop for a few minutes and take a look at what people are doing.
Cell phones are everywhere – everyone from kids in elementary school to 20-somethings in jeans, to 30-somethings in suits to soccer moms to grandpas with walkers… Look at what’s going on in life today – people are doing everything from checking their email, tweeting about lunch, sharing photos, checking the game scores or making a reservation or buying something online… We’re all connected to our cell phones – when they ring, or chirp or beep – we answer. And when their not making noise, it’s often because we’re doing something anyway…
You may be wondering what that has to do with you and your business? Because all these people are doing all of this on user-friendly mobile Websites from their smart phones and iPhones.
Did you know that the mobile marketing industry is predicted to be a 7 plus billion dollar industry over the next few years! (Yes, that’s 7 with a ‘B’…) Now I’m not suggesting that you’re going to make billions or even millions of dollars by learning how to create a user-friendly mobile Website… but what if you could reach just 1% of that market? Or half of a percent?
Okay, so lets look at some of the basics you need to know to create a user-friendly mobile Website:
1. Make the navigation very, very simple on your user-friendly mobile Website. Some things to keep in mind are: the size of the screen – smart phones, iphones and other cellphones are only 3 – 5 inches. People don’t want to scroll, and they will click away if they’re directed to a full-size Website or a site that’s too busy.
2. User-friendly mobile Websites don’t have lots of photos – it really reduces the load-time. So, if you’re going to use photos, icons are better and there shouldn’t be too many. Everything needs to fit on the screen. If the images are important, you can provide links to your regular site for them to look at when they get to the office or at work.
3. Minimize keystrokes on your user-friendly mobile Website. Don’t use forms or anything that requires lots of typing.
4. Make sure your user-friendly mobile Website is a part of your marketing strategy. Your mobile marketing strategy needs to be a part of your overall brand. It needs to reflect your vision. It needs to be easy to understand – and easy to share. And it needs to be entertaining.
5. Always have a visible call to action on a user-friendly mobile Website. Remember though what I said in #3 – that doesn’t mean using a form. There are so many things you CAN do though… Check out this article about Great Calls of Action for User-Friendly Mobile Websites. But just as food for thought: They could tweet about you, share your App, like your Facebook page, or agree to get an sms from you about specials, sales or news and events.
The final thing I want to say is, if you’re not sure how to do this, or you don’t know where you’re going to find the time – or you’ve just got better things to do with your time – get help if you need it! We can help. If you’d like to find out more, call us (888) 228-8923 to set up a free 30-minute consultation where you could ask questions about how to build a user-friendly mobile website.